Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Rocket Singh- Salesman of the year (RS).....Review by Prasanna Muzumdar

Review of RS by PM

What we wish to comprise in a movie? After watching the RS movie this question swamped me and left me thinking what I really want from a movie? Me and my inner self debated for a long time, as if the problems in life which are already existing are not enough for me to become a potential insomnia patient. Anyways at that moment this question prioritized all other problems and I had to conclude to sleep well.

Insane comedies/Action/Thriller are not my cup of tea, I would look for sensible bit emotional, comedy without a comedian, well thought out and a message to take away. These are the 3 points which crossed my mind and finally concluded my question. Why are all the problems and unanswered questions in life are not as simpler as this. Triumphant feeling for answering the above question made me to think that I can out beat Masand with my reviews any given day, oh thoughts continued hitting my mind in a rocket speed and started visualizing my success in reviewing a movie. Finally I gave a reality check to my inner self and convinced it that I would write a review of a movie and irk my friends. Inner self was very happy coz it heard me saying “irk my friends”, it loves doing it all the time.

RS is a movie of a lad who is just passed out from graduation and decides to become a salesman against his friends opinion who thinks Private B-schools are a better option. Ranbir as Harpreet Singh the protagonist of the movie is convinced to become a salesman considering his academic records and financial status. Prem Chopra- father of Harpreet Singh bought him up with true values of caring, sharing and social responsible is a happy man when his son decides to work as salesman, the old man doesn’t know that his philosophies and values of life injected in his son’s DNA will make to him to visit the police station one day.

Harpreet Singh manages to clear the interview in AYS one of the companies who deals with sales and services of desktops and immediately goes though a rough patch in his training period when his honesty becomes his enemy and gets demoted from salesman on the field to the salesman who just does the out bound calls and passes the leads to other executives. This twist in his life makes him to leave honesty behind and develops him as an entrepreneur of Rocket Sales Corp, a company which runs on the infrastructure and resources of AYS without the notice of the head of the company. The script unfolds and develops a very good plot which makes the audience to sit on the edge of their seats. The movie revolves around the corporate issues and reveals the mantra for being successful businessman.

Most of the scenes are catchy and crisp. Though first half of the movie tends to be bit long while introducing the characters and developing the plot, but the second half of the movie sets the fire and ensures the audience a treat for their money spent. Casting is superb whether its Shazahn Padamsee as Harpreet’s girlfriend or Gauhar Khan as front desk office executive or its Raj Guru of Bhagath Singh fame who astounds as Giri, friend and partner of Harpreet Singh. In fact casting of the entire crew is just awesome and 3 cheers to Schimit Amin’s eye for detail. Nitin the manager, Mishra the chaiwala in the office and boss Puri does justice for their roles.

Ranbir Kapoor rocks as Harpreet Singh and as all the potential to become my favorite actor. In fact in whole of the movie I never realized that he is RK and always thought he is Harpreet Singh.

When I first saw the trailers of the movie, I badly wanted to watch this movie as it is combo of Schimit Amin and Jaideep Sahni, the gentlemen behind the success of Ab Tak Chappahan and Chakde India. Rocket Singh is on similar lines to the Jaideep Sahni’s Khosla Ka Ghosla in which honest middle class family plots a plan to get the land back from a dishonest broker, Don't go in expecting a comedy, Rocket Singh is a realistic film that deals with serious issues and sets a bench mark. Watch it for perfect casting, fabulous performances, excellent direction, clean narration and awe stuck script. To sum up Rocket Singh is a unsophisticated protagonist driven by principles put in an remorseless world leading him to come up with intelligent solutions driven by honesty although with a twist.

Happy Selling,
Prasanna Muzumdar

No comments:

Post a Comment