Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Accident- My first blog

Hi All,

I trouble you all to read the below story and provide your feedback.I could have written about a recent trip to Shivana samudhra, the wonderful places I saw, my experiences in changing companies :), generally about life and its difficulties.But I chose to write about the accident which happened with me, because I feel it will be more appropriate and useful. This is my chance to make a difference.

December05,2006

A usual day with a usual start. I start my bike and drive faster to office as I was late. I managed to reach office on time and started with my daily routine (you all know what is that…Sip a coffee and start checking your mails…browse through the web for the latest news etc.). Slowly started with my work, I knew this day would be longer than usual as I was loaded with work. It was around 9:30 p.m. and I realized that it was already too late and if I extend more than this I would receive a nice blasting from my GF and I was not ready yet to leave back to home. I had no other option rather to lie my GF that I am leaving back for home…I didn’t receive any reply and understood she was angry on me (L1). Some how managed to complete all the assigned work and decided to leave for the day (It was around 11:15 p.m.) (L2)

I start my bike at the same time my mind was pre-occupied with thousand other things (L3). Climate was too cold and luckily I had two jackets with me. As I was driving, I suddenly realized a racer bike was cutting into my path; it was racing at 90 km/hr on the wrong side of the road (L4). I tried my best to avoid and get passed away. Before I could do anything, in a split second, racer bike hit me at 90 km/hr; I almost jumped 7 ft high, rotated 180 degrees in the air and fell on the road facing my big tummy towards the ground…(My helmet broken into pieces fell at a distance of 10 feet away with a banging sound)... The impact resulted in a mighty sound which made few to open the door and start walking towards the battle field. The guy who hit me was shouting with pain at the other end of the road.
After seeing all this I started to realize that my breathing is almost stopped, I started feeling that this is the end of my life. I was not in a position to think / react, I was just mum (L5). I realized that I have to breathe to survive; I started practicing the exercise to breathe with a great pain in my Rib cage. I saw two people around me by the time the stars in my head could clear. Two women aged around 40, started massaging my chest area, helped me in removing my jackets and placed me in a comfortable position. (L6). I closed my eyes to concentrate on my breathing again as I was worried about the Rib cage area.

I opened my eyes and saw a lot of people crowded around the place. And everybody was talking/saying something (L7). I tried to get up and immediately realized the pain in my nose (the glass which I was wearing had pierced in the nose area) and the finger ring had pierced in the middle finger bone. My hand was lying in a crooked position and I could not feel it. They started helping me. I was wincing in pain. Then somebody took control. He asked the others to move away from me and slowly, very slowly, helped me in getting up. I was accompanied to the footpath and was made to sit comfortably. Somebody got me water.

It was almost 11.45 p.m. My eyes started searching for my bike and to my surprise I saw bike lying down into pieces, front part of the bike almost crushed, I started realizing that the accident was to dangerous than I imagined. I needed support to get me into a hospital and negotiate with the guy to repair my bike. I thought of calling to my brother and realized he was out off station on office work. At any point I didn’t want to inform my dad and my GF coz they would panic. I thought of calling to my good old friends, that’s when I realized that my mobile was missing. One kind soul gave me his mobile. But I couldn’t recall any of my friend’s numbers..(L8). And then somebody also found my mobile phone and handed over to me. I called up my friends at 11:58 p.m. It was party time for them as they were about to celebrate one of the roomies birthday. I called up to the birthday boy and informed him about the accident. They promised to be there ASAP.

By this time the crowd started to scold both of us (myself and the guy who hit me). A group of 10 members aged around 30 to 35 who were drunk started walking towards me. I spoke to them and explained the incident in detail. The group realized it was not my mistake and we all started walking near the guy who hit me. Everyone started beating him black and blue and I have to agree upon this that I also gave him two mighty blows (L9). As expected my friends came in and took over the situation maturely.

My friends took me to the hospital which was luckily just opposite to the accident place. I was treated and friends helped to me to go back to my home safely. I was on sick leave for half a month. As I thought back, I realized there are a lot of things I was very thankful for (L10).
I didn’t lose my consciousness – God knows what would have happened then.
I was wearing my jerkin – I escaped bruises this way. It was also kind of a buffer.
I didn’t fell facing my back towards the ground or else I would have suffered the pain life long.
I jumped from the vehicle if not ... need I explain? Bless the soul who invented Disc brakes.

Finally, I am back in office, a slave of routines as before. But there were a lot of things I learnt from this incident.

Today, I realize that meeting with an accident is not a big deal. There are other things more important to worry about in life. One has to face life’s problems and move along (L11).

There are still things that I am working to be better at. I look at my bike everyday wondering what would happen today. I muster enough courage to sit on my bike and start riding it. But I now know with effort, time and encouragement, I can do anything.

I have summarized my learning’s here. Hope it helps.

L1. Don’t lie.
L2. If you are late to leave office, always go by office cab or call for a city taxi. (Better don’t be late)
L3. Maintain your cool while driving.
L4. Don’t expect others to follow traffic rules.
L5. Don’t panic think and act.
L6. Stop and help people who need help. Somebody might be grateful to you for life.
L7. Don’t crowd around people who have had an accident. Give them some air.
L8. Have a back up all your important phone numbers. And carry it with you always....
L9. Never break the law.
L10. Look at the brighter side of things
L11. Move along
Lxx. Support your friends when they suffer. Show that you care. A friend in need is a friend indeed.
And the most important learning, PLEASE WEAR A HELMET. It saved my life.

Thanks,
Prasanna Muzumdar

2 comments:

  1. I had met with an accident too.. But then i was not as lucky as you. I went unconscious the time i hit the ground.. The next thing I remember is I am in the hospital bed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, the painful event has been captured wel. You have looked at and acknowledged the positive side of it. Lucky you! You could recover with no major damages. Otherwise people are not so lucky. Road accidents have made permanent damages to many.

    I too was lucky to survive an accident. There was one lady who stepped in to comfort me. She rubbed my back and comforted me with her good words. I was shouting in great pain then. My husband was around but that lady's interference helped me emotionally. When I got into a vehicle for the hospital, I thanked her.

    Today I feel good that I did not miss thanking her at that moment, though I was in unimaginable pain. I didn't know her not remember her face. But I remember her anytime I think about my accident and have prayed for her multiple times. ..... Yes, there is a positive side in every event. The coin is not same on both the sides...

    ReplyDelete